Today I thought I'd share our 'on the go' lunch box ideas for when we're heading out for a full afternoon or morning as a family. The Goodbyn lunch box is huge and really deep, so it can hold ample snacks for us to share together. I really love not having to take individual lunch boxes or twenty million containers to try and keep together in my bag.
Last weekend James had a road bike training session for the afternoon and since Mr Goodsell was away, it was just the three of us heading out. It's so easy to fall into the trap of not taking a lunch box with us, which then leads to hungry children which leads to me having to buy goodies to eat. To eliminate this happening we always pack food and grab a drink bottle each to go.
Here's a run down of what we often include:
- 2 squares of dark chocolate each
- dried apple (made at home in my dehydrator)
- dried cranberries
- raw unsalted cashews
- coconut flakes
- crunchy kale chips (also made at home in my dehydrator)
- several pieces of beef jerky (also in the dehydrator)
- one granola bar for James (after his ride) which I've also been making at home - will share the recipe for that next week. They are super delicious and have happily replaced the packet muesli bars that we were buying before.
- A few pieces of dried paw paw & pineapple from the health shop - because I was completely out of fresh fruit & we didn't have time to call into a store along the way.
We actually brought quite a few bits and pieces home again, which just go happily back in their containers until needed.
So, there you go - that's what we pack to take on the run. Interestingly the beef jerky is always the first to be consumed - James and Bella love it!
Don't forget to pop over to Tamar's blog to check out some healthy ideas for this week - she's sharing her top 5 snack recipes!